Setup Menus in Admin Panel

Post-Secondary Medical Care

If you are planning to get more education and training after high school, be prepared to explain to others how your health condition affects you and what accommodations you need in order to succeed. Let’s begin with some questions.

  • What medical care do you need when you are away from home?
  • Do you need physical assistance?
  • Will you be using personal assistants to help you complete activities of daily living?

In the past, you may have had an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) or a 504 Plan. The high school counselors and teachers were responsible for helping to develop and complete this plan. In college or other post secondary educational programs, it up to YOU, the student, to request “reasonable accommodations.”

With extra planning and preparation with your doctors and school staff, you will be better prepared to successfully deal with any problems that may arise.

Once you have determined what you need, you will have to check to see if these services are available at the colleges you are considering. Some colleges have worked hard to make their campus and educational programs very accessible.

It’s also important to have a doctor who works near your college. Your current doctors probably can help you find this doctor, who you can see right away if you get sick while at college. Make an appointment with this doctor before classes begin, so you can get to know each other before there is an emergency.

Using a College Office for Students with Disabilities (click to learn more…)



SEE ALL Add a note
Add your Comment
fddc-logoSponsored by the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and the Florida Developmental Disabilities Council, Inc.
© Dale DiLeo and Florida Developmental Disabilities Council. All rights reserved.
Skip to toolbar